meta data for this page
Open source password management solutions for individuals, teams, and business organizations
Scale to fit:
2 of 5 Points, not optimized but usable, maybe switching between portrait and panorama mode needed
Most, possibly all functionality seems to work. Tested also with YubiKey. Usable in landscape mode.
How to install:
# You will need to trust and add flathub repo to your flatpak flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo # Install Bitwarden desktop flatpak install flathub com.bitwarden.desktop
Firefox extension as desktop shortcut:
If you are using Firefox, you can install the official bitwarden extension and make a desktop shortcut to the extension url. This has the advantage of providing you with a secure vault that is 100% adapted to small screens, through Firefox.
You need to follow these steps :
- open the sidebar (for instance on the bookmarks view at first). You can open the sidebar with 'ctrl + b' with the terminal keyboard (click the world icon) or by clicking on the hamburger menu > library > bookmarks > bookmarking tools. Normally, you opened the bookmarks sidebar (if you have a physical keyboard, you can directly open the bitwarden view with the shortcut 'shift + alt + U')
- Then, go to the Bitwarden view instead of bookmarks by clicking on “Bookmarks” and by selecting “Bitwarden” in the sidebar
- log in to your account, if it's not already done
- long press (or right click) on “My Vault” and then select “copy link location”. The link you copied should look like: moz-extension://RANDOM_NUMBERS_AND_LETTERS/popup/index.html#/tabs/vault
- create a desktop icon in ~/.local/share/applications/ (for instance : ~/.local/share/applications/bitwarden.desktop), following the example provided below:
[Desktop Entry] Name=Bitwarden Comment=Manage your passwords Exec=firefox --new-window PAST_THE_URL_YOU_COPIED_HERE Terminal=false Type=Application Icon=bitwarden Categories=Network;WebBrowser; StartupWMClass=Firefox-esr
(If you have installed `bitwarden` from the flatpak image, replace “Icon=bitwarden” line with “Icon=com.bitwarden.desktop”.)
Now you have a shortcut in your app drawer to a mobile optimized view of your Bitwarden vault, that opens in Firefox as a new window.