meta data for this page
GoldenDict is feature-rich dictionary lookup program.
The program has the following features:
- Use of WebKit for an accurate articles' representation, complete with all formatting, colors, images and links.
- Support of multiple dictionary file formats, namely:
- Babylon .BGL files, complete with images and resources
- StarDict .ifo/.dict./.idx/.syn dictionaries
- Dictd .index/.dict(.dz) dictionary files
- ABBYY Lingvo .dsl source files, together with abbreviations. The files can be optionally compressed with dictzip. Dictionary resources can be packed together into a .zip file.
- ABBYY Lingvo .lsa/.dat audio archives. Those can be indexed separately, or be referred to from .dsl files.
- Support for Wikipedia, Wiktionary, or any other MediaWiki-based sites to perform lookups in.
- Ability to use arbitrary websites as dictionaries via templated Url patterns.
- Hunspell-based morphology system, used for word stemming and spelling suggestions.
- Ability to index arbitrary directories with audio files for pronunciation lookups.
- Full Unicode case, diacritics, punctuation and whitespace folding. This means the ability to type in words without any accents, correct case, punctuation or spaces (e.g. typing 'Grussen' would yield 'grüßen' in German dictionaries).
- Scan popup functionality. A small window pops up with the translation of a word chosen from another application.
- Support for global hotkeys. You can spawn the program window at any point, or directly translate a word from the clipboard.
- Tabbed browsing in a modern Qt 5 interface.
Scale to fit:
Has to be filled
4/5, tested basic lookup functionality and it works well on the phone. Preferences dialog not always properly scaled. Touch target size in application menu is on the small side but very usable.
How to install:
sudo apt update sudo apt install goldendict