meta data for this page
This is a page that records some hardware/software modifications that can be made with the PinePhone and Mobian.
USB Docks and HDMI
It is possible to take either a Braveheart (1.1) or CE (1.2) hardware revision PinePhone and make it work with a powered USB-C dock so that you can plug in USB and HDMI peripherals. Here's what you need to do this. Note that this is not an easy modification and is highly experimental at this stage.
- Perform the hardware modification https://xnux.eu/devices/feature/anx7688.html
- Note that some have used a simpler, but more *risky* approach where the two chips are removed using a small screwdriver at room temperature (WARNING: THIS MAY PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!)
- Update ANX chip firmware https://xnux.eu/devices/feature/anx7688.html
- Note: this should be run as root user and not through sudo
- Note 2: Clone the repository rather than directly downloading the .bin file. For some reason, directly downloading it does not give you the correct image and errors on the “echo” command.
- Install wlr-randr:
$ sudo apt install wlr-randr
- (Through SSH) Turn off main screen DSI-1 using wl-randr
$ wlr-randr --output DSI-1 --off
USB docks that are reported to work:
- Anker PowerExpand+
- Command to activate HDMI Port
$ wlr-randr --output HDMI-A-1 --mode 1920x1080
- Note: Change the resolution to the one supporting your monitor, but above 1080p can cause some instability.