meta data for this page
This is a page that records some hardware/software modifications that can be made with early revisions of the PinePhone affected by a later fixed hardware bug and Mobian.
USB Docks and HDMI
Owners of the very early Braveheart Edition and the Ubports Community Edition hardware editions are affected by the VCONN bug and are therefor unable to fully use USB docks and related hardware. They can make the phone to work with a powered USB-C dock so that they can plug in USB and HDMI peripherals using an hardware modification. Here's what needs to be done to do this. Note that this is not an easy modification and is only recommended for expert-level users.
- Perform the hardware modification https://xnux.eu/devices/feature/anx7688.html
- Note that some have used a simpler, but more *risky* approach where the two chips are removed using a small screwdriver at room temperature (WARNING: THIS MAY PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!)
- Update ANX chip firmware https://xnux.eu/devices/feature/anx7688.html
- Note: this should be run as root user and not through sudo
- Note 2: Clone the repository rather than directly downloading the .bin file. For some reason, directly downloading it does not give you the correct image and errors on the “echo” command.
- Install wlr-randr:
$ sudo apt install wlr-randr
- (Through SSH) Turn off main screen DSI-1 using wl-randr
$ wlr-randr --output DSI-1 --off
USB docks that are reported to work:
- Anker PowerExpand+
- Command to activate HDMI Port
$ wlr-randr --output HDMI-A-1 --mode 1920x1080
- Note: Change the resolution to the one supporting your monitor, but above 1080p can cause some instability.